Thursday, January 13, 2005

I use Debian Linux. One of the really nice things about Debian is that I don't have to go mucking around reinstalling stuff all the time. That's really nice.

The "problem" is that if you're not careful things can change out completely on you. For instance, buring CD's became more and more problematic for me. I was seeing this from cdrecord:

Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.

Warning: The related Linux kernel interface code seems to be unmaintained.
Warning: There is absolutely NO DMA, operations thus are slow.

What that really should say is:
STOP STOP STOP.  YOU WANT TO USE A DIFFERENT INTERFACE NOW


So, if you see that from cdrecord, pick a different interface, like instead of using ATAPI, I'm now using the following two lines in my /etc/cdrecord/cdrecord file:

CDR_DEVICE=cdrw

cdrw= /dev/hdc -1 64m ""

(and there are tabs between things on the cdrw= line).

-Jeff


No comments: